Ads by Nuffnang

Sunday, May 15, 2011

I'm so hungry

Finally, the reason why I'm always nauseated, as I've written in this post, has been diagnosed. My stomach is coated with small, multiple ulcers, and I show signs of acid reflux or GERD. And I learned all these last Monday when I went to the hospital at 7 a.m to undergo gastroscopy. What a way to start the week.

I know I shouldn't panic (and I'm not panicking), because this is treatable and it's not a life-threatening condition. But of course, I was sad when I learned about this. I know I have hyperacidity. I've been dealing with an acidic stomach since I was 8, that's why I don't drink softdrinks. What caused my ulcers was stress - apparently, my (or I think that applies to everyone) stomach gets filled with acid every time I'm stressed. I don't skip meals, but, I admit, I also don't eat on time, or I go for long hours without eating.

I was a bit shaken by this news. I didn't know it would come to this. Maybe this is my body's way of telling me to slow down. That I don't have to be at my best all the time if it would compromise my health. That I've pushed myself harder than I should, and this is one of the consequences.

Fortunately, as I've said earlier, this is treatable. The doctor prescribed medicines, and one of them is soooooo COSTLY! Good thing the doctor gave me a discount card, so the price was slashed by 50 percent. Whew! But still, the medicines cost me quite a lot. Well, they're for my treatment so I'm not complaining.

Also, I couldn't eat certain foods for a month, as long as I'm being treated. Included in the list are dairy products (i.e. ice cream, chocolates huhuhu), my favorites spaghetti and pizza, and mint candies. It's just for a month. I'm advised to go for small but frequent meals. To just eat. And I'm doing that. The medicines are really helping. I'm now able to eat a decent serving size without me feeling like throwing up. Sometimes, I go for second helpings. And how I missed this. I missed eating. And I'm positive that when I go back to the doctor for follow up after a month, my ulcers are gone and I'll be allowed to eat them again.

Lesson learned: Never ever let your stomach go empty for long hours. It wouldn't hurt to stand up from your office cubicle, head to the pantry, and grab a bite. Your tummy will thank you for it.

2 comments:

  1. i sincerely hope you get better super quick. ♥ take care of yourself! i'm glad that you aren't panicking and that you're actually going to do something about it. medicines are a pain in the wallet. :(
    missed you loads!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes they are a pain indeed. My savings got depleted big time. Thanks for wishing me well. :) I follow the doctor's orders so I'll get better fast.

    I missed you, too! Don't worry, even if sometimes you don't see me comment on some of your entries, I still read them. You won't lose me as your reader ;)

    ReplyDelete