Ads by Nuffnang

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Writer's Block?

I've been wanting to write a poem, but I can't think of an image I would want to paint through my words. Some might say it's because I can't find my inspiration. Some might call it writer's block.

I remember one of my teachers in high school saying that writing is discipline. Being able to write is not about waiting for inspiration to strike. I believe her. I believe good writers can and should write when they need to, and most especially, when they want to. Weaving the right words to share thoughts, ideas, or emotions depends not on the writer's so-called muse or inspiration, but on his or her abilities.

But I guess it's not true for writing for poetry. The poems I've written are always inspired by something - whether a current event, a past experience, or a person. Maybe in order for me to write a poem, I need not wait for a lofty inspiration, because there are a lot of things around me and in life that can inspire me, no matter how simple or mundane they might be.

P.S. I'll share with you the poems I wrote in high school when I find the time to type them here. We're having a busy week at work, and I'm swamped, so I'll post them when things loosen up a little. Thanks for reading! :)

7 comments:

  1. Good morning:

    I hope I am right on time, I have 5 poets links included in my blog today, these poets' site really entertain me, your blog is one of those.

    If you don't mind, come to visit me and have visits to those links so that you get inspired by others...

    Your poem has been sources of wisdom to me for a while now, we need to encourage and help one another to be better poets.

    Thank you.

    Have An enlightening Day.

    jingle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jingle!

    I do visit your blog, but I haven't visited the others linked to yours. Sure, will read their poems too. It's great to share ideas with fellow bloggers and fellow poets. :)

    Thank you so much for finding my poems inspiring and enlightening.

    Take care always, my friend.

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,

    take your time.

    have a grand day. :)

    jingle

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is something to be said for the discipline of writing daily. It is not easy with poetry but I find that it trains me to look at life through different eyes. I notice more when I am writing than when I am not. It helps me capture the memories I really desire to hold on to. Wishing you blessings as you find your voice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jaymie!

    Thank you for your comment, and thank you for wishing me welll.

    "It is not easy with poetry but I find that it trains me to look at life through different eyes. I notice more when I am writing than when I am not. It helps me capture the memories I really desire to hold on to." ----> Wow cool! Maybe I should try to consciously capture my encounters with interesting people, places, and other things.

    Thanks again. All the best for you.

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  6. writers block... I love writing about writers block. the problem is that the poems I write about it are almost contradictory to the feeling of writers block... so that's odd.

    On the subject of discipline... I find it helpful to rephrase the whole discipline thing. For me, The word discipline holds connotations of no and negatives. But it's really about doing what you love. Would you rather read a book, or go to a movie? this or that... you do what you love doing. And in the case of writing, it's I love writing and so I'm going to write, because there's nothing else I'd rather do.

    Random thoughts. Keep writing, people are reading.
    -Andy Bonjour

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Andy!

    Your comment is insightful. Yes, the word discipline may connote something negative, like being forced or required to do something, whether you like it or not.

    Good thing we love writing, that's why we don't feel burdened with the discipline it entails. It's about setting time for it because we love to do it.

    Thank you for sharing your thoughts. :)

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete