Ads by Nuffnang

Saturday, November 7, 2015

My first yoga session

This afternoon's yoga class was something I looked forward to all week. Urban Ashram Manila holds free yoga classes for beginners every Saturday, 2 pm, at the branch in Bristol, Pasig City. How perfect! I rent a space close to it, so now, I have no reason not to do it.

I was excited!

When Jo, the yoga teacher, came into the room and started speaking, I saw in her a kind and calm woman. Maybe that's what yoga does to you.

Because it's a class for beginners, Jo said our focus for the session was to learn how to breathe properly. She says what we're doing is Vinyasa, and it's all about moving along your breathing. The poses we're basic and simple along with being taught the proper breathing.

I love how there's no pressure for me (and for anyone) to be flexible. If the pose requires you to reach the floor but you still can't, it's okay. Inhale, exhale, Jo keeps on saying as we do each pose.

I still need work on balance and stability, but I love how my muscles are engaged in each of the poses. I love how the muscles at the back of my legs get stretched and stretched. It's a bit painful, but I love it. I love the stretch!

I also love how yoga will make my arms strong, because the idea is for us to be able to carry out own weight. And because in have scoliosis, yoga will also help me develop stronger back muscles.

What made me feel great after this afternoon's session was when one of my classmates told me this at the locker area:

Girl: Have you been doing yoga before?
Me: No. It's my first time ever.
Girl: Oh I thought you're already experienced.

What made her think that, I don't know. Maybe it's because of my straight back (It's a way of life hehehe). But whatever is her basis for sayin so, I'm thankful for her comment.

I can't wait for my next session. And I'm looking forward to all the things that I'm going to learn in yoga practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment