Ads by Nuffnang

Saturday, August 13, 2011

Glimpse of My '90s: The Cranberries

While I was in poetry drought in the past two weeks, I've been reliving my childhood through some '90s music. It was Aqua at the start of the week, then it became The Cranberries that gave me a major LSS (Last Song Syndrome). It started when my dearest posted a music video of one of their songs, Linger, on my Facebook wall. Then, I looked for the music video of my favorite Cranberries song.



That's Ode To My Family. Well, to be honest, I didn't know that its title was Ode To My Family. All I knew was that it was a song that starts with "doo doo doo doo...". Haha! Thanks to Youtube, I was able to find the music video and learn about the title as well. Haha!

I remember we had a cassette tape of The Cranberries (woohooo a cassette tape!). My dad would play it on Sunday mornings (that is, if my memory is right). Back then, I couldn't understand the lyrics. I really suck at deciphering lyrics even up to now. But despite that, I like the song; the vocalist Dolores O'Riordan's voice is clear and beautiful, and the song's melody is great for chilling out. And now that I already know the lyrics, the song has another plus for me.

When I was I think in fourth or fifth grade, we attended a talk about backward masking. The Cranberries was one of the bands mentioned in the talk. The speaker said their songs had evil messages. I couldn't remember if the speaker pointed out a specific song. Maybe it was their song Zombie.



That's evil? I don't think so. I did some Googling about the song. It's a protest song meant to criticize the bombing in Warrington, Cheshire in 1993.

The Cranberries have other great songs. I like Linger and Just My Imagination, too. So I'm going to end this post here, look for their songs online (I couldn't find the cassette tape anymore. Haha!), and enjoy listening to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment