Ads by Nuffnang

Sunday, November 28, 2010

M2M and Memories of Tween Life

It's been a week since I've been on M2M mode, listening and downloading their songs. This Norwegian duo got popular in 2000, and how I loved their songs! I was 12 then, and I found their songs catchy and easy to sing. The lyrics tell stories that I think young girls (and boys? :) ) can relate to. And since I was 12 when M2M became famous, I was the perfect audience for M2M's genre of music: bubblegum pop.

I still love their songs even if I'm now 22. Here are my top five favorites, all from their album, Shades of Purple:

1. Mirror Mirror







This is my ultimate favorite M2M song. It speaks of how you can't deny the truth to yourself when you're faced with it. Hence, this line: Mirror, mirror hanging on the wall. You don't have to tell me who's the biggest fool of all. The gray, cloudy weather type of lighting in the music video reinforces the sad lyrics of the song.
Favorite Line: Aside from the one I've mentioned above, it's this: If only wishes could be dreams and all my dreams could come true, there will be two of us standing here in front of you.

2. Don't Say You Love Me







This upbeat song is M2M's first hit. It was included in the soundtrack of Pokemon The Movie, so the music video shows parts of the movie. What's the song about? Pretty simple: a girl telling her suitor/admirer/whatever to take it slow.
Favorite Lines: Don't say you love me. You don't even know me. If you really want me, then give me some time.

3. The Day You Went Away







For me, this is the saddest song in the album. The cold in Norway, as shown in the music video, goes with sad lyrics of the song. The title pretty says what the song is all about: the day the girl in the song and her boyfriend/significant other broke up and parted ways.
Favorite Lines: I remember date and time. September 22nd, Sunday, 25 after 9. In the doorway, with your case, no longer shouting at each other, there were tears on our faces.

4. Don't Mess With My Love







The song speaks of betrayal by a friend because that friend stole your boyfriend (what a very high school-ish scenario, although it happens to grownups, too). So the song intended for that friend. The title says it all: back off!
Favorite Lines: I thought you were a friend of mine, but I was wrong. You tried to fit into the arms where I belong.

5. Girl In Your Dreams







When I said earlier that M2M's songs tell stories, this is one with a very clear story. As I did my surfing about this song, I found out that this is Marion Raven's (the one with long, dark, wavy hair in M2M) first composition, and that this is for her first boyfriend who broke up with her.
Favorite Lines:
Maybe I don't have the blond hair you like. Or maybe I don't have eyes like the sky. And I'm not sure if I'm the girl in your dreams, but I can show you what love means.

Pretty Boy used to be among my favorites, too, but I think I've outgrown that song already. :) I love the acoustic version. And speaking of acoustic version, I have cassette tapes of both the acoustic and non-acoustic versions of M2M songs. Haha! I bought the two even the songs are just the same.

I find it a little weird that their voices doesn't sound so little during live or acoustic performances. Maybe the editing for the album does something to their voices, which is sad because they have beautiful singing voices.

Too bad the duo separated. They now both have careers as solo artists. I wish there would be a reunion, and they would have a concert or tour here in the Philippines. I would definitely buy tickets and watch, and enjoy their songs as well as my trip down memory lane.


No comments:

Post a Comment